The Guild was created when the old Midland Counties Association and the North Nottinghamshire Association came to an end on the 31st December 1945. The old Midland Counties Association had covered a huge area including part of Staffordshire and the Dioceses of Derby, Leicester and Southwell. This new Guild which covered the whole of Nottinghamshire was called the Southwell Diocesan Guild of Change Ringers. At the end of the first year of operation the Annual Report recorded 213 ringing members which included 46 new members.
In 1959 the importance of less experienced ringers, who rang regularly for Sunday service but hitherto were not qualified for membership of the Guild, was recognised by changing the name of the Guild from the Southwell Diocesan Guild of Change Ringers to the Southwell Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers.
The Diocese of Southwell changed its name to the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham at the end of 2005; the Guild followed suit in 2008.
Today, ringing is based on six districts – Bingham, Mansfield, Newark, North Notts., Nottingham and South Notts. – each with its own District Officers who facilitate the successful running of the district. Total membership was 654 as at 31 December 2018
If you would like to purchase a copy of the report, please contact the General Secretary